Saturday, June 13, 2009

My Daughter, The Apologist

Sitting with me as I was listening and critiquing a Mark Driscoll sermon, little Izabella (my 7-yr-old daughter) blessed me by displaying the fruit of our labors to teach her not merely to memorize scripture but rather to understand and apply them.

BELLA: Is he a false preacher or a good one?

PAPA: He's not preaching Christ in the message.

BELLA: Really? But isn't everything in the bible about Jesus because "in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God"? That's John 1:1, right?

PAPA: Amen!

What a joy to see God answering our prayers in her bearing such fruit and producing the very thing we strive for in teaching her - an understanding of Christ through the scriptures.

Here is another dialog that Bella had with Leilani that I just found out about...

BELLA: Hey Mommy, you know what? Taylor really wanted to win this notebook today in class and so she kept saying, "Please God, if you let me get this, I'll do anything for you."

MOMMY: Oh did you think that was weird?

BELLA: Yeah, God doesn't need her to do anything for Him! Because the bible says, "I am the vine you are the branches, you can't do anything apart from Me."

Christian, if you have been blessed with children, let us not raise them to be intellectual, religious zealots but rather to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus. May we raise up a new generation of evangelists in this dark world in need of the "light of the world" - our Lord Jesus.

1 comment:

Jean M said...

Wow, that is so encouraging! We really can expect our children to really know and understand Scripture, even at such a tender age!