Saturday, May 2, 2009

Looking Back...

"And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." - 1Tim 4:18

Soon after the Lord, in His grace, showed me my utter sinfulness and need for Christ's atoning work, He blessed me with the protection and counsel of fellow believers who were also zealous in the faith. The early zeal was dampened by the reality of indwelling sin yet a new life was still birthed and growing. It was not long after that I began to ask the question, "If none of my friends were Christians, would I still be one?"

Not knowing that my security was entirely in the sovereign hand of God, I was fearful to lose the Christ that I had come to know. I was terrified that the preservation of my faith and newfound joy was tied to those around me. Showing His mercy, He allowed me to walk that lonely valley for 3 years. Looking back at those years, I learned a simple lesson...

"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." - Phil 1:6

The Lord has proven that He will never leave nor forsake His children whom He has chosen in the Beloved.

Christian, depend on your Saviour's mercy, rejoice in His promises and look to His faithfulness. If you have been so blessed to see that nothing you have done, are doing and will do earns God's favor but that rather He is pleased in His own Son whom the Spirit has allowed you to see, then your security is Christ's steadfast love not in your strength of faith.

1 comment:

Larry Stevens said...

Amen Brother! I came to the Lord late in life...51 years old, but facing the results of the life of an unrepentant sinner. The Lord led me to an Evangelical church with a strong men’s ministry. He then lead me to a “small group” of men who like me had turned from sinful lives to a life dedicated to our Savior. They were my support and accountability group When 5 years later, a relocation took me away from the group, I too had the fear that without their support I would fall back into my sinful life. Alas that was not true; my life took a different direction. With the love of Christ in me, I continued my walk along the narrow path. A few years later, God lead me to meet and then married a Godly woman, who is God’s tool in strengthening my walk every day.