Monday, January 12, 2009

My Testimony: HIM not me! - Part II

What is a biblical testimony?

In Part I of this article, I asked the question: What is my testimony? The question was born from the consideration of how often Christians use the term to describe their actions in life. In this second part of this three-part article, I will attempt to summarize the biblical definitions and uses of the word "testimony".

Before I proceed, I want to point out that I am not a seminary graduate nor have I taken any Greek or Hebrew courses. Like most of you, I am a layman trusting in the Spirit's work, counsel of wise men and the Scripture's efficacy for all things pertaining to life and godliness. I long to understand the Scriptures so as to reveal Jesus in His glory while setting men aside in the sidelines as auditors.

The word "testimony" is used by the KJV translators 44 times in the Old Testament and 32 times in the New. In total, there are 6 distinct words or forms of a word translated as "testimony". All words speak of either bearing a record (as in a witness of an act) or giving a report. In some uses, the word represents the actual report or evidence given. The Hebrew and Greek words translated often as "testimony" is also translated as "testimonies", "witness" and "testify/ied".

Other than Jesus' rebuke of the Pharisees (as in Mat. 23:31) as party to those that "kill the prophets", none of the uses refer to the act of the speaker nor of his past accomplishments or failures when the testimony is that of a man. Only when the Scriptures refer to the testimony of God (as in Psa. 19:7, ) does the testifier speak of Himself or of His acts.

Why then has the contemporary use become so man-centered and how do we return to a biblical and Christ-honoring testimony? See Part III...

No comments: