Monday, October 6, 2008

Proclaiming in the Season of Politics

During this season of our nation's elections, what concerns you most?  The results of the election or the calling out of the elected?

"For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."  [1Co 2:2]

I recently took some time to count the number of times in a given week that I had a discussion of politics with a co-worker or friend.  I then counted the opportunities I redeemed the time by leading the discussion into eternal and spiritual matters of the soul.  Sadly, as many of you might find of yourselves, the former outnumbered the latter.

The reason that I chose to specifically count these conversations rather than others is that I have found political discussions to be easier to guide toward an evangelistic discussion.  Consider the following topics and their relation to spiritual and eternal matters:
  • Economy - Our trust is in our citizenship in heaven [Phi 3:20].  David says, "I have been young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken nor begging bread." [Psa 37:25]
  • Definition of family - He has made them man and woman [Gen 2]; Denial of gender denies creation; 
  • Obama vs. McCain - They are both under the sovereign hand of God.  The believer can be encouraged that "He removes kings and sets up kings" [Dan 2:21].  The unbeliever should be told that both are sinners and fallen leading to discussions of the fallen nature of man. [Rom 3:23]
  • Overturning Roe v. Wade - The Lord formed us all in the womb.  He has made all things and is sovereign over all creatures. [Isa 44:24]
It's difficult to turn a debate about sports, business, technology or even TV shows into an evangelistic opportunity but politics is much easier.  Unfortunately, the passion that many of us have in political discussions is often misguided and blinding which limits our usefulness in redeeming the time for the Lord and His glory.

Christian, I encourage you to take a quite moment to prepare yourself through study and prayer for these opportunities so that we might be useful for the kingdom of our Lord Jesus.

1 comment:

Jean M said...

Hi Euge,
Glad you brought this up as it's something that's been on my mind, and I know on many others as well. I was particularly struck by the last bullet point that basically points out that whoever ends up as the next President is due to God's sovereignty. Not that we don't vote or take a stand for what's right, but knowing that ultimately God's plans cannot be frustrated gives believers complete assurance no matter the outcome.

Thanks for the reminder that we need to have the appropriate view of the elections and that it can be an opportunity to point to Christ.