Thursday, September 25, 2008

Christ was Plan B???

I attended the memorial service at a Catholic church this week for a former co-worker who was well respected in our company.  I was flabbergasted when the Catholic priest made statements amounting to the belief that Christ's death on the cross was Plan B.  He stated that our relationship with God is improved by loving one another.  Since we could not do this perfectly, God sent His own Son to die on the cross for us to show true love.  Effectively, Christ was Plan B because we failed to do what "we were called to do" - to love one another.

Having been blessed to hear and understand the true gospel, I know that God's sovereign plan of salvation for His people was foreknown before the foundation of the world[Rom 8:29, Eph 1:4].  It was not a response to our failure but rather a plan to fulfill His promises for our good and His glory [2Cor 1:20-22].  God had intended for His Son to be glorified after the counsel of His own will.  Before I had a name, He had already called me.  It was not my voice that called out to Him that saved me but the voice of His Son who cried, "It is finished!"  I am merely a sinner saved by His grace and mercy.

Christ was not Plan B.  He wasn't even Plan A.  His work to glorify the Father was the only plan, passion and purpose of God.

No comments: